“There are no promises in life, law, or your case, but I promise to be your caring and steadfast advocate.”
Partner | California Board Certified Family Law Specialist | Mediator
A Powerful Advocate
Family law disputes are serious, and the stakes are high. You deserve a powerful advocate in the conference room and the courtroom. Kimberly is Certified as a Family Law Specialist by the California State Bar Board of Legal Specialization. She is known for eschewing the normal game-playing with her direct and no-nonsense approach to cases. Kimberly is driven to tell her clients’ stories in a compelling and effective manner, to get favorable results for her clients.
Kimberly takes pride in her firm’s client centered approach which focuses on each person’s goals and personal needs while controlling costs and emotional stress. She believes that with the proper information and counsel, each client can obtain resolution and move on to a more satisfying chapter of his or her life.
Depth of Experience
Kimberly handles all aspects of family law. She offers counsel at all stages of a family’s transition, from formation through dissolution. Besides the garden variety divorces, and high wealth cases, she has been in the unique position of working for a top tier, national family law practice. As a result, she offers clients an exceptional depth of experience handling cases involving high wealth premarital agreements, as well as intrastate and international issues.
Kimberly frequently leads teams of experts to effectively handle complex family law matters. She has worked with top experts in all areas of family law: child custody; domestic abuse and the impact on children; business valuation; tax; bankruptcy; income available for support; residential and commercial real estate valuations; computer forensics; and causation and medical assessment in child abuse and domestic violence cases. She has developed solid relationships with some of California’s best experts in nearly all areas of family law. Her clients deserve to have access to all of the tools available to them in order to obtain a favorable outcome in their case.
Kimberly is a certified legal specialist in family law. Attorneys may identify themselves as an “expert” in family law only if they are “certified” either by the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization. California attorneys who are certified as divorce and family law specialists must take a rigorous written examination in family law, demonstrated a very high level of experience in family law, fulfilled ongoing education requirements, and been favorably recommended by peers and judges familiar with their work. While many family law attorneys are good lawyers and skilled litigators, clients that hire a Certified Family Law Specialist can be confident that they are in fact hiring an expert in divorce and other family law matters.
The State Bar identifies family law as the practice of law dealing with all aspects of the California Family Code and including, but not limited to, the following: taxation issues incident to family law practice; contempt; enforcement proceedings; mediation and/or negotiation of family law disputes; psychological and counseling aspects of family law; family law writ and appellate practice; post-marital agreements; non-marital domestic relationships; child custody in any forum; and public enforcement of child support.
Legal specialists in family law must prove significant, actual experience in the following areas:
- Restraining orders/domestic violence proceedings;
- Spousal support;
- Modification of support;
- Division of community property;
- Confirmation of separate property;
- Dissolution of marriage/divorce, legal separation, or nullity of marriage litigation;
- Custody of children;
- Child support;
- Taxation issues incident to dissolution of marriage;
- Contempt and/or enforcement proceedings;
- Mediation and/or negotiation of family law disputes; and
- Psychological aspects of dissolution of marriage.
In addition to the requisite experience requirements, a certified family law specialist must participate in a significant amount of education and training, and must pass a difficult written examination. For a direct link to the State Bar website containing the formal requirements to become a certified family law specialist, click here.
- Preparing and Litigating Pre-Nuptial Agreements, 2018 Seminar, Cordell College 200, In-House Education, Cordell & Cordell L.P., St. Louis, MO.
- Divorce School 101, 2017 Public Presentation, Cordell & Cordell L.P., Burlingame, CA.
- Divorce School 101, 2014 Public Presentation, Cordell & Cordell L.P., San Francisco, CA.
- Family Law for Creative Artists, 2013 Presentation, California Lawyers for the Arts, San Francisco, CA.
- McGeorge School of Law
- University of the Pacific, Sacramento, California, 2005
- J.D. California State University, San Francisco, California
- B.S. Economics
- State Bar of California
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of California
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States District Court for the Southern District of California
ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Association of Certified Family Law Specialists
- San Francisco County Bar
- Association San Mateo County Bar
- Association Sacramento County Bar
- Association Scale Magazine
- Field Editor (Fly Fishing Ambassador, Western United States)